My husband, Brendan, loves beef. He eats it all the time, and so when we first got married, I really wanted to prepare a nice beef dish that would appeal to him, as well as provide nutrition.
This was very well-received!
After successfully cooking it for him, I’ve since prepared it for my parents when they came over for lunch, as well as for 2 missionary friends of ours, one of which had a bad headache when he first arrived for dinner but felt better soon after the meal! Not that this Beefball Brown Rice Congee cured him of the headache, but I’m happy that at the very least, he didn’t feel worse after the meal.
Here’s the recipe. It can feed 2-4 persons, and we love it especially on cold, rainy days…
Beefball Brown Rice Congee
300g lean minced beef
1/2 tbsp dill, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, mashed and chopped
1 tsp ginger, minced
1 tsp white pepper
1 tbsp fish sauce
1/2 tbsp soy sauce
A few eggs
1 cup brown rice
1 beef stock cube
1) Mix minced beef, dill, garlic, ginger, pepper, fish sauce, light soy sauce & 1 egg in bowl. Set aside.
2) Combine 1 cup brown rice with 5 cups of water, add crumbled beef stock cube, some fish sauce and soy sauce.
3) Bring rice to boil, then reduce to simmer. Stir frequently.
4) Add minced beef mixture, dropping in balls. (these can’t be too small, or they’ll fall apart)
5) Turn heat off when beefballs are cooked, which is about 5-10 mins.
6) Crack 1 egg into each empty bowl. Pour hot congee on top, and stir till egg is combined.
7) Garnish with a little soy sauce and sliced ginger.
*** REMINDER ***
If you have an interest in participating in DICED! A Ranting Chef competition, the deadline is midnight on February 28, 2013. For full details about the competition, see the original post by clicking here.