What do you think of when I say “sausage and peppers”?
My first thought goes to pasta. I will routinely fry up some Italian sausage pieces with some peppers and onions and then serve it with pasta and a bit of red sauce. Easy to make and yummy indeed.
The next thought is pizza. Sausage, peppers and onions on a slice of za is just perfect.
Lastly my mind goes to a sausage link on a bun with red sauce, and grilled peppers and onions.
It looks like onions are the silent partner to the other two.
This recipe is a different take on the pair (trio). No red sauce, per se, although there are some tomatoes in it.
The surprising ingredient here are the green beans. You’d think they don’t belong, but they work.
To speed the process for a weeknight dinner, have two pans going at once.
The pan gets overloaded once you add in the beans.
Ready to bake.
Out of the oven.
A great combination and will now appear in my “sausage and peppers” list.
Uncle Al’s Sausage and Peppers Casserole
Prep Time: 30 mins | Cook Time: 46 min | Makes: 8 servings | Difficulty: Easy
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 pounds fresh turkey sausage (about 8 links), cut in 1/2
- 1 medium red onion, quartered and separated
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into 1- inch-wide strips
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into 1-inch-wide strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into 1- inch-wide strips
- 1 pound green beans, ends trimmed and halved
- 1 (14-ounce) can no-sugar-added diced tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil leaves, plus some for garnish
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces button mushrooms
- 4 marinated hot cherry peppers, optional
- Shaved Parmesan, for garnish
- Equipment: oval gratin dish
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 6 minutes. (Don’t fully cook the sausage, as it will be finished in the oven.) Drain the fat from the skillet.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and peppers and cook, stirring, until tender, about 2 minutes. Add in the remaining ingredients except for the mushrooms, cherry peppers, and Parmesan and cook, stirring occasionally, for another 3 minutes.
Combine the sausage, vegetable mixture, mushrooms, and cherry peppers in the gratin dish. Bake uncovered until well browned, about 40 minutes. Serve garnished with basil leaves and Parmesan.