I have told you all before about my attempts to make and like Indian food. Again, it is not that I dislike it, I have just not found something that hits my palate just right. In a previous attempt, I purchased a jar of Mango Chutney. In my well documented attempt to clear out my fridge and pantry, I found the half-used jar and went in search of a recipe. I found Shrimp Tikka with Mango Chutney. As an added bonus, I already had the shrimp!
This turned out very good. It had a nice flavor and worked best when the chutney was on the fork with the shrimp.
The recipe calls to make the chutney, so I skipped all that part.
Get the spice ready.
Marinate the shrimp.
I also skipped the skewering in favor of spreading the shrimp across the Foreman.
Shrimp Tikka with Fresh Mango Chutney
Prep Time: 45 min | Cook Time: 1 hr | Makes: 6 servings
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh jalapeño, chopped (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 (1-inch) piece peeled ginger, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, smashed
- 2 teaspoons ground garam masala
- 3/4 teaspoons turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoons grated nutmeg
- 2 pound large shrimp in shell, peeled, leaving tail fan attached
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (3/4-pound) unripe mango, chopped
- 1/3 seedless cucumber, peeled and chopped (3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 to 2 teaspoons minced fresh jalapeño with seeds
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced mint
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Equipment: 10 (12-inch) wooden skewers, soaked in water 30 minutes
- Accompaniment: lime wedges
Marinate shrimp: Purée all ingredients for marinating shrimp, except shrimp, with 1/2 tsp salt in a blender until smooth. Pour into a sealable bag, then add shrimp and marinate at cool room temperature, turning bag occasionally, 30 minutes. Make chutney while shrimp marinate: Toast cumin in a dry small skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Stir together remaining chutney ingredients with 1/4 tsp salt, then sprinkle with toasted cumin.
Make kebabs: Prepare grill for direct-heat cooking over hot charcoal (medium-high heat for gas);
Thread 4 shrimp onto each skewer, leaving small spaces between them. Put on a tray.
Oil grill rack, then grill skewers, covered only if using a gas grill, turning once, until just cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes total. Serve with chutney.