Gourmet Club: Appetizer – Bruschetta

Once again it was time for the Gourmet Club’s quarterly dinner. The theme this time:

Italian

The dinner was fabulous and the company was great. The wine flowed freely and the location for the dinner was perfect. We began the evening walking through the host’s garden (thank you Cathi and Dennis). It was a beautiful summer evening and when we left the garden, we came into the appetizer course, Bruschetta.

It was a perfect dish full of fresh flavors and the more colors, the better the flavor. It is a quick and easy recipe for anytime, especially for summer parties. We had both a cold version and a warmed one. Delicious!

Bruschetta

4 large tomatoes (roma, beefsteak, vine, whatever is in season is the best)

1 small white or yellow onion

2 cloves of garlic

2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil

Ground pepper

1 large green pepper

2 large yellow peppers

2 large orange peppers

Dice everything and toss in a bowl.  Mix in the olive oil and pepper. Refrigerate.

1 loaf italian bread, ciabatta, or french loaf (any kind of bread will do)

Shredded mozzarella cheese

1 stick of butter

Serve hot of cold.

If hot, spread butter and garlic on bread. Toast in oven.

Spoon bruschetta on top of each slice of bread, add mozzarella cheese.  Return to the oven until cheese is melted.

If serving cold, place bruschetta in serving dish for guests to spoon onto bread.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: appetizer, Cheese, Gourmet Club, Italian, kosher, Recipes, Vegetable, Vegetarian

14 Comments on “Gourmet Club: Appetizer – Bruschetta”

1. June 26, 2012 at 11:04 am #

Recipe sounds and photo looks delicious – I love bruschetta!

2. June 26, 2012 at 11:11 am #

Quick, easy and delicious. Thanks for reminding us.

3. June 26, 2012 at 11:11 am #

I agree with 24/7 France — I love that stuff. E amo la cuina italiana! But this recipe is like nothing I’ve seen for bruschetta. Amazing!

4. June 26, 2012 at 12:25 pm #

Love the bruschetta. It’s so easy to make you can make it any night of the week. Thanks!

5. June 26, 2012 at 12:30 pm #

I could eat that for dinner. Forget about the main course. Yummy!

6. Reema Siddiqui
    June 26, 2012 at 12:53 pm #

I had the worst bruschetta ever a few days ago. Those look promising and appetizing!

7. A Budding Chef
    June 26, 2012 at 3:15 pm #

Bruschetta is absolutely delicious and it’s one of my favourite sides to a hearty meal of pasta. Your recipe for it looks delightful and is especially versatile in that you can serve it hot or cold! Thanks for sharing!

8. June 26, 2012 at 4:28 pm #

I absolutely love bruschetta! I will definitely use this recipe 🙂 This will make my friends very happy… 🙂

9. Chatter Master
    June 26, 2012 at 4:58 pm #

Drooling….. 🙂

10. claireycooks
    June 26, 2012 at 6:36 pm #

This looks like a nice colourful version. I wonder what this version would be like with a dash of balsamic vinegar. Will give it a try 🙂

11. June 27, 2012 at 3:47 pm #

I love bell pepers so this sounds great. I love that Bruschetta can be served hot or cold. It is great to parties because of that. People that are at the party when it comes out of the oven can have it hot and those that come later can still enjoy it cold!

So is the “bruschetta” the bread? The mixture (tomatoes and all)? Or the combination of BOTH the mixture on top of the bread? I see different info on that so I am confused.

12. June 28, 2012 at 10:40 am #

Bruschetta is the best! I like mine cold without the cheese

13. June 29, 2012 at 11:10 pm #