Brisket – a third way.
Recently I’ve featured brisket in corned beef hash, on the grill and in the slow cooker. Today is the oven’s turn. Regardless of what you use to cook it, it must be cooked low and slow to break down the connective tissue in the meat and make it fall apart in your mouth. This recipe, does just that, falls apart.
Be warned – this recipe calls for a lot of time. In fact, you cook it the day before you serve it, so keep that in mind.
The onions carmelize and go great with the meat.
The horseradish sauce is folded in at the end to make a great sauce.
Make a bed of the onion.
Get the rub together.
Apply it well…both sides.
Cover it tight. I use several layers of the foil.
Out of the oven.
Saving the onion mixture for the next day.
Oven Braised Brisket with Horseradish Sauce
Prep Time: 23 hrs 10 mins | Cook Time: 4 hrs | Makes: 8 | Difficulty: Easy
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil, plus more for pan
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can lower sodium beef broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 1/4 tsp coarse ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 (4 1/2 -5 lb) beef brisket, trimmed
- 2-3 tbsp prepared white horseradish
1) Heat the oven to 325°. Lightly coat a large roasting pan with oil; scatter onions in pan and pour in broth.
2) Combine oil, garlic, paprika, thyme, and salt in a bowl. Rub over the brisket to coat thoroughly. Set brisket on onions. Cover tightly with foil. Roast until brisket is fork tender, 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
3) Transfer brisket to a baking dish; let cook, then cover and refrigerate overnight. Pour onions and juices into a bowl; let cool, then cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove any hardened fat.
4) About 45 minutes before serving, heat oven to 325°. Slice brisket across the grain and return to baking dish. Pour 1 cup of onion and juices over the brisket; cover and bake until heated through, about 30 minutes.
5) Bring remaining onion mixture to a boil in a medium saucepan; reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minute/8 s. Stir in horseradish. Serve brisket with sauce spooned over.