An article I read not too long ago said it best,
“If it exists, it can be deep-fried.” – The Daily Meal
They give their top 10 Craziest Foods Ever Deep Fried:
- Watermelon – Not sure this sounds good.
- Cookie Dough – I’ve had this, and it is glorious!
- Baconnaise – I guess this is a bacon flavored mayo and while I like them both, I can’t imagine eating a spoonful of the stuff, deep-fried or not.
- Corn on the cob – This actually sounds interesting. I think I might want to grill the corn a bit first.
- Nutella – I’ve had deep-fried chocolate bars and this seems like a variation on that theme.
- Cadbury Creme Eggs – I’d try it. I have to eat one of these eggs every Easter season.
- Butter – Um….See my comment for baconnaise.
- Bubble Gum – Not gonna do it.
- White Castle Burgers – Make it another slider and I’m in.
- Salsa – I think I have to make that!
Check out the article here.
Chicken Parm Meatballs
This was another one that sounded unusual but was ooooooohhhhhh so good!
Ground chicken is the key.
Wrap it around a piece of mozzarella and roll the meatballs in breadcrumbs.
In the oil.
Makes me think about the meatball song (“On top of spaghetti….”)
Sliced open and the cheesy goodness escapes!
Chicken Parm Meatballs
Prep Time: 30 minutes | Cook Time: 40 minutes | Servings: 8 (Scaled)
Coarse salt and pepper
1 1/2 pound spaghetti
3 1/2 cups plain dried breadcrumbs, divided
1 cup whole milk
2 pound ground white-meat chicken
4 cups vegetable oil
6 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into 16 pieces
6 cups marinara, warmed
chopped fresh parsley, for serving
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions; drain.
2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, milk, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken and stir until just combined (do not overmix). In a medium straight-sided skillet, heat oil over medium until it registers 350 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer.
3. Place remaining 1 1/4 cups breadcrumbs in a shallow dish. Divide chicken mixture into 4 portions and flatten each into a disk. Place 4 mozzarella pieces in center of each, then form disk into a ball around cheese. Coat balls in breadcrumbs and fry until golden brown, 5 minutes, turning once. With a slotted spoon, transfer meatballs to a paper-towel-lined rimmed baking sheet and let drain 1 minute.
4. Discard paper towels and transfer sheet to oven. Bake meatballs until chicken is cooked through, about 14 minutes. Divide pasta among four bowls and top each with marinara and a meatball. Sprinkle with parsley.