This is a vagabond recipe.
I first placed the recipe on my menu in early September. As it happens sometimes, when the day came to make the recipe, something came up and it never got made. I then moved it to the following week. That day came, and something else came up.
After a total of four tries, I finally made this recipe.
It is difficult to argue with the combination of apples and chicken. The other ingredients, cheese and breadcrumbs, at first seemed a little odd, but they worked.
A pretty straightforward set of ingredients.
The stuffing ingredients.
I will often use thinly sliced breasts to avoid having to pound out my own, but in doing so, you end up with less chicken and can put less stuffing in. I went ‘Old school’ on these breasts.
Feeling stuffed? This chicken is.
The dish was pretty good. I am not sure the cheese or breadcrumbs added much to the taste, though.
Apple Stuffed Chicken Breast
Prep Time: 15 min | Cook Time: 25 min | Makes: 4
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup chopped apple
- 2 tablespoons shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon Italian-style dried bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
1. Combine apple, cheese, and bread crumbs. Set aside.
2. Flatten chicken breasts between sheets of waxed paper to 1/4 inch thickness. Divide apple mixture between chicken breasts, and roll up each breast. Secure with toothpicks.
3. Melt butter or margarine in a 7 inch skillet over medium heat. Brown stuffed chicken breasts. Add wine and 1/4 cup water. Cover. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink.
4. Transfer chicken to a serving platter. Combine 1 tablespoon water and cornstarch; stir into juices in pan. Cook and stir until thickened. Pour gravy over chicken, and garnish with parsley. Serve.
NutritionAmount Per Serving (4 total) Calories 139 cal 7% Fat 5.1 g 8% Carbs 4.9 g 2% Protein 15 g 30% Cholesterol 46 mg 15% Sodium 120 mg 5% See More Based on a 2,000 calorie diet