There are just some dishes that scream “MAKE ME DURING COLD WEATHER!” Chili – check. Beef Stew – double check. Chicken and dumplings – yes!
As well documented on this blog, I make my share of chili. In fact, I might even make your share too. While I will make beef stew, it typically only appears once a year. Other very similar recipes (beef roast with veggies in a crock pot) appear more often. Until now I had never made chicken and dumplings.
I cannot say for sure why. Maybe it always seemed too complicated. Maybe it was having to do all the work of baking (mixer, dry and wet ingredients) in addition to all the other cooking work. I don’t know why, but when I came across this recipe, I knew I could shortcut the dumpling effort.
It was really pretty good. The dumplings were not bad for refrigerator biscuits.
I thought that finding a leek soup packet would be impossible, but it was right there next to the onion soup mix.
Frying up the chicken.
Into the pot with the veggies.
Adding the “dumplings”. I was somewhat skeptical.
I shouldn’t have been. It was great.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings
Prep Time: 20 Min | Cook Time: 9 Hr 50 Min | Makes: 5
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups sliced celery
- 1 1/2 cups fresh baby carrots
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 (1.8-oz.) pkg. dry leek soup mix
- 4 cups water
- 1 (10.8-oz.) can (5 biscuits) Pillsbury® Grands!® Refrigerated Flaky Biscuits
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups Green Giant® Frozen Sweet Peas
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Heat oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add chicken; cook and stir until browned.
2. In 4 to 6-quart slow cooker, combine chicken, celery, carrots, mushrooms, soup mix and water; mix well.
3. Cover; cook on low setting for 7 to 9 hours.
4. Separate dough into 5 biscuits; cut each into 8 wedges. Sprinkle wedges with cornmeal. Stir coated biscuits pieces into hot chicken mixture.
5. Cover; cook on high setting for an additional 25 to 30 minutes or until biscuits are no longer doughy in center.
6. About 10 minutes before serving, microwave peas in covered microwave-safe dish on HIGH for 3 to 4 minutes or until hot. Just before serving, stir peas and pepper into chicken mixture.