Advertisements

Cooking Like a Caveman

I subscribe to quite a few blogs and read a few more. When I do, I will often skim the posts and when something catches my eye, scroll back up and read it all the way through.

I know when I have found something truly cool when I stop and stare at the picture, just letting it sink in. This happened recently at the Caveman Cooking Creations site. It was a glorious looking dish of creamy butternut squash, savory beef and bacon and topped with onions sautéed in balsamic vinegar. Oh my God, YUM!

It is perfect for entertaining as each person can have their own boat.

I added some meatless crumbles (not pictured) and included more bacon than the recipe calls for. The recipe calls for 3 tablespoons of cinnamon. I followed the directions and used it. Next time, I’d cut it in half.

These look almost fake as they have such a rich orange color.

I fried up the bacon in two batches.

The mixture.

Scooping out the boats.

Some onions for the top.

All together. The small Pyrex dish worked perfectly.

Bacon Beef Butternut Squash

Ingredients:

• 1 Butternut Squash, ~ 2 Lbs cut in half
  • 1 Lb Ground Beef
  • 6 Slices of bacon
  • 3 Small Onions, sliced 1 reserved
  • 1 Stalk Celery, diced
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • 3 Tbsp Cinnamon
  • Balsamic Vinegar ~ 2 Tbsp

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F

2. Cut squash in half and scrape out the seeds

3. Some people have said this is a pain in the ass to eat, I didn’t mind but if you would like, you can peel it and see if it holds up in the shape to stuff it

4. Place face down in a pyrex dish with 1/2 inch of hot water and cook for 30 Minutes

5. While its in the oven, cook the bacon in a pan until crispy, set aside and leave the bacon fat in the pan

6. Add 2 of the sliced onions and celery to the pan and then add the beef

7. Season with Salt and Pepper to taste and your cinnamon

8. Continue stirring until the beef is finished, remove from heat and place in a bowl

9. Remove the squash from the oven, when you can handle it scrape out some of the guts, leaving ~1/4 inch of squash, add squash to bowl with meat

10. Crumble your bacon and add that to the bowl as well

11. Mix well and then stuff your squashes with the beef mixture and place back in the 350 Degree oven for 20 minutes

12. While your squash are baking, add your reserved onion to your sauté pan and cook them over low heat with your balsamic to caramelize them

13. Remove squash from oven, top with caramelized onions and Enjoy

Source: http://civilizedcavemancooking.com/entrees/beef/bacon-beef-butternut-squash-2/

Advertisements

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Baking, Beef, Low Carb, Main Dish, Pork, Recipes, Vegetable

17 Comments on “Cooking Like a Caveman”

1. August 7, 2012 at 11:11 am #

I love stuffed squash recipes! I have a stuffed spaghetti squash recipe that I LOVE!

2. August 7, 2012 at 11:20 am #

That looks awesome!!

3. August 7, 2012 at 11:36 am #

Of course anything with bacon is going to be yummy 🙂

4. rosywillow
    August 7, 2012 at 11:47 am #

That looks amazing – butternut squash is now on my shopping list!

5. August 7, 2012 at 12:31 pm #

Good!

6. August 7, 2012 at 1:54 pm #

Thanks for stopping by my kitchen, Chef! This recipe looks great – I love anything that uses bacon and winter squash in the same sentence!

My red Kuri squash is ripening in my garden as we speak. Maybe I’ll try a variation in the fall with prosciutto or my new favorite caveman delight: Lardo.

Fat, fat and more fat! Bring it on.

7. August 7, 2012 at 2:55 pm #

oh this looks so delicious!! I’ll definitely try this recipe .. many thanks for sharing!

8. August 7, 2012 at 4:32 pm #

sounds like my type of cooking

9. August 7, 2012 at 5:10 pm #

Yeah, I scan recipes too. This one looks like a keeper. I think it would would great with large sweet potatoes substituted for the butternut squash. It would decrease baking time.

10. August 8, 2012 at 2:35 am #

Great way to stuff butternut squash instead of sausage. Thanks for sharing.

11. August 8, 2012 at 5:34 am #

Looks yummy ❤

12. August 8, 2012 at 10:07 am #

This looks SO delicious!

13. August 8, 2012 at 10:39 am #

Have a butternut squash in my fridge, was wondering what to do with it – sorted!

14. August 8, 2012 at 8:26 pm #

Love this recipe you have posted. I have a friend who has a “Whole Foodie” page on facebook where many “Paleo” followers, the caveman way of eating, are sharing recipes. I shared this one with her. You did a great job, I can’t wait to try this recipe for Mark and I.

15. August 10, 2012 at 10:13 am #

Reblogged this on JE Baugh and commented:
    Adding this to my list of “Must Make”s…

16. Eric R. Shelton
    August 10, 2012 at 9:21 pm #

I’m not really a squash fan, but thinking I need to try more of it in my diet (just cooked better than my parents used to). I try to eat Paleo most of the time, avoiding starches like the plague, so this is a great recipe candidate! Thanks!

1. All Rotten Au Gratin? | Rantings of an Amateur Chef - March 2, 2013

[…] Bacon Beef Butternut Squash, Beef-Barley Soup, Boilermaker Tailgate Chili, Buffalo Chicken Flat Bread, Buffalo Chicken Ravioli, Buffalo Chicken Salad, Buffalo Chicken Salad Wrap, Cajun Pork Roast, Chicken and Rice Bake, Chicken Honey Nut Stir Fry, Chicken in a Pot, Chicken Tetrazzini, Gazpacho, Grandma O’s Potato Salad, Guinness Beef Stew, Guinness Pot Pie, Lentil Bolognese, Makeover Hot Chicken Salad Recipe, Mushroom Pie, Osso Bucco, Red Beans and Rice, Red Wine Gravy, Shrimp Etouffee, Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings, Sweet Macaroni Salad, Texas Straw Hat, Thanksgiving Stuffing, Turkey Noodle Soup, Tuscan Kale and White Bean Soup, Vietnamese Spring Rolls […]