Do you have the best chili recipe ever???

To my loyal readers,

Now is the time to come to the assistance of your Ranting Chef. For the last 11 January’s, I have hosted a chili cook-off. We typically have between 8 and 15 chilis and every attendee votes on each chili. Therefore, the winning chili is always one built for mass appeal and not to the refined tastes of professional chili judges.

I hate to admit that I have only won my own cook-off once. My favorite chili is one without beans and is hot enough to peel the paint off the walls. Because of this, I get some good comments but people want their beans and not to have a mouth on fire. The one year I won, I tried to make chili that was very middle of the road and without any unusual tastes or textures.

Here is where I need your help. If you make the best chili in the world, send me your recipe at rantingchef@yahoo.com. I am looking for either a great universal chili (cook off winner style), or a hot Texas Red (one after my own heart style) with no beans. Over the next several months, I will make a few of them and if I make yours, I’ll give you full credit in my write-up. So send them on in and let’s see what you’ve got!

The Ranting Chef

rantingchef@yahoo.com

Tags: , , , ,

Categories: Recipes

7 Comments on “Do you have the best chili recipe ever???”

1. messyme
    July 17, 2012 at 8:02 pm #

If I could just tell you ONE thing to add to your chili….it would be this Pittsburg Hot Links…http://shop.pittsburghotlink.com/product.sc;jsessionid=3B606BFBA3520B8BA41559C5F4867DEF.qscstrfrnt03?productId=7&categoryId=1
    I assume you are not worried about fat or calories. I promise you….just add some of these in with your regular recipe. Try it before the cook-off and see if you don’t agree. In my neck of the woods we all love them. They have lower fat kind but they are not as good.

2. July 17, 2012 at 10:35 pm #

Oooooo I’ve got one for you!!

3. July 19, 2012 at 7:37 pm #

One of my secret ingredients for a great chilli is cocoa powder. Try a tablespoon at first and then add a little more if needed. The sweetness of the aroma works really well with the spice in chilli and because (cocoa) is naturally bitter, I find it really mellows out the flavours too.

Not sure if you use cocoa powder but perhaps this might be your new ‘secret’ ingredient! Good luck!

4. July 20, 2012 at 3:03 pm #

Sending one shortly–full of flavor and seasoned well…heat, but no fire to deal with 😉

5. July 22, 2012 at 3:21 am #

How about adding a veggie chili category? 🙂

6. Maggie
    July 23, 2012 at 9:45 am #

I think I already sent you my recipe. You can kick up the heat by adjusting the cayenne!

1. I’m entering a chili cook-off | housegoeshome - August 17, 2012

[…] entering the main recipe in Rantings of An Amateur Chef’s Chili Cook-off. The Ranting Chef writes a blog filled with weird and wonderful recipes like this one, called Red, […]