Grill It Baby

Like most males, I see that cooking over fire is not only my inalienable right, but my duty. Once it was hanging a hunk of meat on a stick over the fire, but today it takes the shape of grilling on the patio.

As my main dish grilling recipes have grown, my side dish ones have not made the same progress. My default is to cut up some red, yellow or orange peppers in big pieces and throw them on the grill. Corn on the cob and even zucchini and squash make their rounds on the rack. One of my favorites is to create foil packets of baby potatoes and onions.

I like the look of the multi-colored baby potatoes. I’ll often wash them, then throw them into a covered dish with a little water and put them into the microwave for a few minutes. This ensures that they make it all the way through the cooking process and not left half raw.

A great side to your summer time cook-outs.

Potatoes, onions, salt, pepper and butter.

After microwaving the potatoes for a few minutes in a covered dish with a little bit of water, lay out a foil sheet. First the onion, then the potatoes, salt and pepper and lastly a tablespoon of butter.

Open it up and enjoy. Make one for each person.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Grilled, kosher, Recipes, Side Dish, vegan, Vegetable, Vegetarian

18 Comments on “Grill It Baby”

1. June 24, 2012 at 11:07 am #

how long do you grill the potatoes?

2. June 24, 2012 at 11:08 am #

Wow!! I just made this very thing the first of the week for dinner, along with baked chicken. We used to do these in the coals of the campfire when the kids were little, and loved them!!

3. eatwilmington
    June 24, 2012 at 11:12 am #

Never thought of the par-microwaving, but one would never be enough for me! 😉

4. June 24, 2012 at 11:37 am #

I would never take away my husband’s “right” to be the grillmaster of the house. I rule the kitchen and he rules the grill. His go-to side on the grill is asparagus brushed with seasoned butter. I bet he would love trying these potatoes!

5. June 24, 2012 at 12:20 pm #

I mix potatoes, onions, poblano peppers (or whatever kind of peppers I happen to have), brussel sprouts, garlic cloves, and vary the combinations in a lot of olive oil, put this all in a heavy enameled iron casserole with a lid and cook it all on the grill until roasted. Spices vary depending on what else I am serving. Have used herbs de provence, oregano, basil, marjoram, cumin, and cardamon in varying mixes. Everyone loves this stuff. In the last few minutes you can also add kale or swiss chard or even chick peas.

6. June 24, 2012 at 1:47 pm #

I love those types of potatoes, what a neat and simple way to prepare them!
    I don’t have much luck finding these type of potatoes around here, where did you find yours?

7. June 24, 2012 at 5:14 pm #

Gotta love melted butter over roasted or grilled potatoes! Kim*

8. June 24, 2012 at 8:47 pm #

We make those potatoes too -love them! @jparkhurst07 I find them at farmers market or larger grocery stores but if I can’t find them – I use russet potatoes and cut them up in chunks, (sometimes we add onion powder to it as well).

Have you tried Jumbo Olives stuffed with Garlic (you get them here in Ontario, Canada at Costco) on the grill? Awesome – I do them on skewers with tomatoes.

9. June 24, 2012 at 9:26 pm #

One of my favorite side dishes for grilling is a mix of veggies — green onions, eggplant (the best!), carrots, summer squash, green beans and asparagus are my favorites. They are easily done in the oven; just put them on a foil covered cookie sheet, sprinkle with olive oil and a little kosher salt. Bake them until the eggplant is almost black and they are perfect. On the grill they take a little more attention, but basically the same idea. Olive oil and kosher salt. I try to give them some grill marks and then put them on the top shelf on foil to finish out.

10. June 24, 2012 at 10:17 pm #

i make these and we call them hobo dinners

11. June 25, 2012 at 4:07 am #

I have a secret confession! I love to cook but I’m thrilled when my bloke decides to enjoy dome time on the BBQ as I (get a little) break and can concentrate on fantastic sides too. Loving the little multicoloured spuds though, I’ve not seen some of those charities before either? 🙂

12. June 25, 2012 at 7:50 am #

Getting hungry just looking at the pictures. What a delicious idea!

13. June 25, 2012 at 10:21 am #

Looks so delicious!!

14. June 25, 2012 at 1:31 pm #

A for sure on BBQ night 🙂

15. June 26, 2012 at 12:08 pm #

As a previously single woman for many years, it was my exclusive right and pleasure to command the grill. And even after a new marriage that will finally be death till we part, I’m still holding the tongs in the relationship. Come summer give me a grill and a food service size roll of aluminum and I’m good to go. Love colored small potatoes.. olive oil, garlic, rosemary- wrap it up. Last night at our table was small zucchini, blossom intact- olive oil, smoked salt. Done. Happy grilling 🙂

1. July 4th Food! | Rantings of an Amateur Chef - July 3, 2013

[…] Stuffed Portobello Caps, Crispy Smashed Red Potatoes, Easy Baked Beans, Grilled Baby Potatoes and Onions, Grilled Brussels Sprouts, Grilled corn salad with black beans and rice, Grilled Stuffed Jalapenos, […]

2. Labor Day Cookout Food! | Rantings of an Amateur Chef - September 2, 2013