Savoring the Scent

Smells are such an important component to the dining experience. Have you ever walked by a restaurant and the smells have been so wonderful that you turned and walked right in? That is what I love about the slow cooker. You set it up, turn it on and then you really need to leave. If you stay, it smells good, but you really get the full effect after walking in after being gone for a good 6-8 hours. Your mouth starts to water and you are drawn to the kitchen. I put this up there with the smell of bacon frying and fresh-baked cookies coming out of the oven.

The beef is just so tender and the earthiness of the mushrooms just gives it a great down-home flavor.

A short list of ingredients.

A quick mix to cover the roast.

In the pot on a bed of mushrooms.

While you may be tempted to eat it right then, don’t forget to make the gravy!

There you go.

3 Minute Crock Pot Roast

Ingredients:

• 8 Oz. Sliced Mushrooms
  • 2 to 3 Lbs. Boneless Chuck Pot Roast
  • 1 Envelope French Onion Soup Mix *
  • 1/2 C. Dry Red Wine
  • Guar or Xanthan (for thickening) ** (I used Wondra flour)

Directions:

Give the slow cooker a shot of cooking spray. Dump the mushrooms in the bottom of crock pot and plunk the roast on top of them.

Mix together the soup mix and wine, and pour it over the whole thing. Slap on the lid, set the timer to Low, and forget about it for 8 hours.

When finished, fish out the roast (carefully, it will be very tender), and use the guar or xanthan to thicken up the juices in the slow cooker. Serve this gravy with the pot roast.

Source: http://www.fiddledeedee.net/2008/02/16/3-minute-slow-cooker-pot-roast/

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Beef, kosher, Low Carb, Main Dish, Recipes, Slow Cooker, Vegetable, Wine

12 Comments on “Savoring the Scent”

1. June 23, 2012 at 11:04 am #

Oh Yes! This one is for tonight… Thanx !

2. June 23, 2012 at 11:12 am #

I’m a big fan of crockpot cooking–it’s super easy to make a delicious meal!

3. Charlotte
    June 23, 2012 at 11:15 am #

As Rachel Ray always said, “Your nose knows.” Your nose smells when it, whatever it is, is ready to come out of the oven. Your nose knows before your eyes do, when the sauce is about to brown and you had better jerk it off the heat before it burns and quick(!), deglaze the pan… Ah, yes, the scents, odors and smells of the kitchen are an inherent part of learning to cook. Thanks for reminding us.

4. June 23, 2012 at 11:22 am #

Yay! A slow cooker recipe that doesn’t say to cook the meat before putting it in the crockpot! Love it. Sounds yummy!

5. June 23, 2012 at 11:28 am #

i make this also minus the thickener because of carbs. so good

6. June 23, 2012 at 1:58 pm #

I love my slow cooker! I do brown the meat and veggies first, usually when I’m prepping for dinner the day before. That way I only have one mess to clean up. But you are right, walking into the house after a long day at work and smelling the aroma of home-cooking is HEAVEN!

7. June 23, 2012 at 5:38 pm #

Might give this one a try tomorrow…I’ve been getting request for beef drowning in gravy by the Mr. lately. Very nice.

8. thoughtsfromanamericanwoman
    June 24, 2012 at 4:16 pm #

I can almost smell it cooking! 😀 Patty

9. June 24, 2012 at 10:06 pm #

I hate crockpots and gave all of mine way years ago. Now I think I may need to buy another one.

10. June 25, 2012 at 7:11 am #

yammy, yammy!! Looking good 😀

11. June 25, 2012 at 1:28 pm #

Sounds yummy!!!

12. July 17, 2012 at 4:54 pm #

that looks delicious! I love pot roast.