The Cut That Went Too Far

Several weekends ago, we were planning on hosting some relatives and I was looking for a good breakfast recipe. While browsing blogs that week, I came across the idea of Quiche Stuffed Peppers on Spicy Life.

I was surprised that I had never considered breakfast stuffed peppers. Stuffed peppers for dinner are great. Whether you fill them with vegetables or ground meat, they are fantastic. Why hadn’t I even conceived of it? I don’t know, but I am glad I came across the post.

The recipe is pretty straight forward.

Like with any stuffed pepper you want to make sure that they stand up straight during cooking. The easiest way is to slice the bottom to create a nice flat surface. Take a look at how I did that here. Really look at that picture. We’ll come back to that.

You first chop and sauté the vegetables and any meat. Really any vegetables will work in this (mushrooms, onions, peppers, zucchini, squash, tomatoes, etc…). Ham, sausage and bacon all work well too. Place the sautéed vegetables into the peppers, leaving some room for the egg mixture. Next you mix up the eggs, some milk, salt and pepper. Now pour the egg mixture into the peppers.

Go back to that picture of the flat bottom I created. Notice the hole in the bottom of the pepper? Oops! All of my previous stuffing of peppers was solid ingredients only. There was never any kind of issue with having the hole, so I just didn’t think of it. With this recipe, it is an issue!

In the future I’ll either look for peppers that can mostly stand on their own without modification or possibly do what I resorted to – use a muffin tin or a nest of aluminum foil to keep it straight up.

After that, cover with cheese and bake.

Delicious!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Baking, Breakfast, Cheese, Eggs, kosher, Low Carb, Lunch, Main Dish, Recipes, Vegetable, Vegetarian

39 Comments on “The Cut That Went Too Far”

1. June 19, 2012 at 11:05 am #

Thanks for sharing, I will definitely have to try this!

2. June 19, 2012 at 11:06 am #

ooh, it’s like a quiche in a pepper cup! sounds delicious…

3. June 19, 2012 at 11:10 am #

This looks easy and delicious. Thanks for the tip about cutting the bottom of the pepper! Oops!

4. June 19, 2012 at 11:11 am #

My mouth is watering~ I think I’ll prepare it for brunch.
    Thanks for the recipe.

5. June 19, 2012 at 11:14 am #

Fantastic idea. I’ll have to try that for brunch sometimes. Thank you.

6. June 19, 2012 at 11:36 am #

that is a great idea, easy too, plus good for you. wow, u outdid yourself this time! fantastic!

7. June 19, 2012 at 11:38 am #

I love Stuffed Bell Peppers and I make them often, but hadn’t considered the breakfast route with them either. Thanks for the post. I’ll certainly give this one a try…looks absolutely delicious.

8. June 19, 2012 at 11:50 am #

What a terrific idea! Helps me avoid any pastry disasters, and is a lot healthier too – so thanks for sharing! 🙂

9. tobiasosir
    June 19, 2012 at 11:54 am #

Looks incredible–I know what we’re having for breakfast this weekend!

10. June 19, 2012 at 12:08 pm #

What a great idea! I’m so glad you found that post as well!

11. June 19, 2012 at 12:09 pm #

What a great idea! I’d vote for these for dinner, too.

12. June 19, 2012 at 12:56 pm #

I love a good quiche but don’t like making them with crusts. I love cooking with peppers even thought I don’t like to eat cooked bell peppers. I make stuffed peppers to get the pepper oils into my dish and look pretty when serving. Oddly, I love raw bell peppers. Something changes in the cooking process that doesn’t agree with my taste buds. I never even thought of this idea. Now I have to try it. It seems so obvious once it is brought to your attention.

13. June 19, 2012 at 1:08 pm #

I’ve never considered these for breakfast before either, but it is such a great idea! I usually put peppers in my scrambled eggs anyway!

14. June 19, 2012 at 1:32 pm #

Epicuriousbrit does her stuffed peppers lying down and I think that’s so much easier than worrying about them standing up or sagging! http://epicuriousbrit.wordpress.com/2012/04/18/red-hot-chili-pepper/

I love the idea of making them a breakfast dish and I can’t believe I’ve never heard of that until now! Thanks for sharing and thanks to Spicy Life for the idea…

15. June 19, 2012 at 1:38 pm #

Yikes! That certainly does look yummy.I am definitely trying this with red peppers and chorizo and anything else I can think of.

16. June 19, 2012 at 2:40 pm #

Wow that looks great!!

17. June 19, 2012 at 2:41 pm #

They look delicious. We’ll have to try these!!

18. Alli
    June 19, 2012 at 3:08 pm #

Love this idea. Without the meat this would be great to serve if you’re having vegetarian guest.

19. June 19, 2012 at 3:31 pm #

I have a mental image of you pouring in the filling and then having it all run out the bottom of your pepper. Thanks for the smile and the new recipe idea both!

20. June 19, 2012 at 3:56 pm #

Those look soooo good! And I’m always on the lookout for recipes that can be tailored to either include meat or not. I’m not a meat-eater but my hubby is, so dishes that can work either way are huge in my house.

Thanks!
    ~Nikki

21. June 19, 2012 at 4:28 pm #

Ha, ha, ha! So funny. I love when new recipes teach us new things about stuff we already know. You know how to prepare bell peppers for stuffing . . . right? Fun stuff! Also, I think the muffin tin is a FABULOUS idea. That is awesome. I’ve never made stuffed peppers before because most recipes have tomato sauce (which I don’t care for) and I imagine the peppers getting very cooked (which I don’t care for). But this sounds really good. Thanks!

22. June 19, 2012 at 4:44 pm #

Those peppers look delicious! And the recipe seems fairly simple–I’ll definitely try making these.

23. June 19, 2012 at 5:13 pm #

Reblogged this on The Body Beautiful and commented:
    Tasty, healthy and quick! Good enough for a light lunch too! I don’t eat cheese so I’m going to adapt the recipe by adding a tablespoon of half fat creme fraiche mixed with paprika, cayenne pepper, spring onions and fresh dill and placing on top of the vegetables in the pepper before adding the egg mixture! Can’t wait to try it!

24. June 19, 2012 at 10:00 pm #

Thanks for the “like!” As an EXTREMELY amateur cooking blogger, you are quite inspiring! You’ve got a new follower.

C.

25. June 20, 2012 at 9:00 am #

I was trying to go back to your Gazpacho blog and now I can’t find it. It made me cry. Well, no, not really. But it was mildly sad.

26. June 20, 2012 at 9:57 am #

What a clever idea!!!! Looks so delicious!!! Yummy!!! Can’t wait to try!!

Nicki G. The Blissful Wife

wwww.blissfulvida.com

27. June 20, 2012 at 10:27 am #

YUMMMM! I copied the recipe and I’m definitely going to try this as soon as possible!

28. June 20, 2012 at 10:32 am #

Where is the “Love” button….why didn’t you think of this before, shoot, I bet many of us are saying the same thing to ourselves…..stuffed for dinner, oh yes, but breakfast, what a great idea.

29. June 20, 2012 at 7:22 pm #

What a fantastic breakfast idea! thanks for the heads up on the cutting….

30. June 20, 2012 at 10:48 pm #

Looks great!

31. June 21, 2012 at 2:01 am #

Mmmmm 🙂

32. June 21, 2012 at 8:05 am #

It is interesting that there are some things we never think of. I like this idea a lot and will be very careful when I’m giving the pepper a flat bottom!

33. June 21, 2012 at 9:14 am #

What a yummy looking breakfast! I will have to try that with the husband (he’s the cook around here) one Sunday morning. Thanks for the like on my blog! I really appreciate the support from an actually foodie!

34. June 21, 2012 at 10:16 am #

You legend! I don’t like quiche… BUT I love stuffed capsicums… After seeing this, I reckon I’ll be liking quiche in no time 🙂

35. June 27, 2012 at 6:05 pm #

Great idea! I love quiche, but am the only one in the house who’s able to eat egg, so I haven’t had it in ages!

36. June 27, 2012 at 9:43 pm #

I LOVE stuffed peppers…and eggs, so this is definitely a winner – I can’t wait to try this!

37. June 29, 2012 at 8:38 am #

Brilliant idea. Will give it a go!

38. June 29, 2012 at 2:00 pm #

So there is something new under the sun! I never thought of doing this. The peppers look wonderful and I’m sure it tastes that way too.

39. June 29, 2012 at 3:54 pm #

I applaud you for posting a picture of the pepper you made a mistake on. You could have just skipped that part. Maybe I will be brave some day and post something I did that failed. Thanks for stopping by my blog.