The Ten Cent Addiction

Most of what I make starts with a recipe that someone else dreamed up. You will often see “Source:” at the bottom of my posts giving credit to where the recipe began. Often I will modify or adjust the recipe, but there is usually a source. This is not one of those recipes.

When I went off to college, I went from Redondo Beach, California, to Columbus Ohio. Once there I was exposed to a new food, Buffalo wings. Back in the mid 80’s they were still relatively new and had not yet become popular on the West coast. Wings on Tuesday nights were 10 cents a piece and I quickly learned that my love for hot Mexican and Asian flavors translated well to the intense Buffalo wing flavors. I quickly found that I regularly collected my dimes for Tuesday nights. I was addicted.

The other day I had a craving for some Buffalo chicken. The recipe below is the result.

Buffalo Chicken Flat Bread

Buffalo sauce, canned chicken, blue cheese, red onions and celery. I walked the grocery store passing on various flat breads until I saw the naan.

I coated the naan with some olive oil.

Then mixed the chicken with buffalo sauce until well coated. The chicken goes on the naan, then the diced onion and celery. A fairly heavy coating of blue cheese on top.

I baked the flat bread at 400 degrees for 6 minutes. Enough for the ingredients to get hot and the cheese to melt but not for the naan to burn.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Baking, Cheese, Chicken, Lunch, Main Dish, Recipes, Vegetable

26 Comments on “The Ten Cent Addiction”

1. June 14, 2012 at 11:07 am #

This sounds really good. I’m not one who liked hot wings, but I might give this a try. Thanks for sharing.

2. ambergravitt
    June 14, 2012 at 11:08 am #

I want some of this right now! (It’s 8:00 am)

3. June 14, 2012 at 12:57 pm #

Very inventive! Great use of naan for flatbread. Why not? Looks great 🙂

4. Alli
    June 14, 2012 at 1:03 pm #

Indisputable fact: Everything is better with blue cheese!

5. June 14, 2012 at 1:10 pm #

Love it can’t wait to make it!

6. June 14, 2012 at 1:37 pm #

I miss the 10 cent wings that made my addiction, too. At 3AM. They no longer exist. And, I want sleep at 3AM. Times have changed.

7. June 14, 2012 at 2:36 pm #

I love buffalo wings and only discovered them when I moved to the U.S. All I can say about this reciepe is YUM! This I am going to try.

8. June 14, 2012 at 2:53 pm #

Can’t say I like wings much, but I have ideas for all kinds of combinations to top flatbread now. Thanks for the inspiration!

9. June 14, 2012 at 2:58 pm #

We love hot wings and make a similar dish but it’s more of a traditional pizza. I never thought of including the celery though. Love it.

10. June 14, 2012 at 3:42 pm #

I’ve been craving buffalo wings all day thanks to this post!

11. June 14, 2012 at 7:47 pm #

That looks insanely decadent.

12. June 14, 2012 at 9:04 pm #

This looks amazing! I love naan so much, it makes my heart smile each time I take a bite. I must make this soon! 🙂

13. June 15, 2012 at 2:51 am #

I love naan. I am not a buffalo wing flaver kind of person, but my husband is and he would LOVE this. I have to make this just for him!

14. June 15, 2012 at 6:29 am #

A georgous & superb tasty creation! I love it!

15. June 15, 2012 at 8:17 am #

Thanks for liking my blog. I’m not eating bread right now but the mixture sounds like it would work in a lettuce wrap. I’d just warm the ingredients in a skillet first and then place in the lettuce cups. Can’t wait to try it!

16. June 15, 2012 at 9:43 am #

Wow that sounds good. I may even risk going into the kitchen to try it.

17. trishlee75
    June 15, 2012 at 11:00 am #

Yum! This recipe combines two of my most favorite things-flat bread and chicken wings! Yum! Thanks for sharing, chef.
    Trish

18. June 15, 2012 at 5:33 pm #

As soon as I saw the chunks of celery and red onion in the picture, I tasted a hot and crunchy party in my mouth! I love anything buffalo chicken, so this is right up my alley. Thanks for sharing.

19. June 15, 2012 at 6:51 pm #

I enjoy reading your blog even though much of the time I don’t eat whatever it is you’re making! lol I enjoy your writing and like to see the pics you post with your words. Well done….once again. Maybe one day you can do something vegan (no fish or eggs or dairy)? Please forgive me if you already have and I’ve missed it! I’m sure you’re up to the challenge!

• June 16, 2012 at 12:57 pm #

If you navigate to the top of the blog and under Recipes:Diet, I have a section for Vegan recipes. Some of them involve common substitutions for vegans, but most should be pretty straight forward. Enjoy!

• June 16, 2012 at 2:09 pm #

Oh, what a goof I am! Always in a hurry and seldom taking the time to check these things out! Thank you so much! Love your blog! Take care!

20. June 16, 2012 at 10:42 am #

Spicy flavours & blue cheese, the very best!

21. June 22, 2012 at 2:44 am #

These pictures definitely give me wings! (hungry:)

22. June 24, 2012 at 9:38 am #

There are so many wonderful ways to use naan and flatbread and pita bread, for that matter! This is a great idea…. Still working on perfecting my own buffalo sauce. Tried Emeril’s way of making it and it’s so easy. But working on getting that flavor just right.
    Really enjoy your various recipes….

1. All Rotten Au Gratin? | Rantings of an Amateur Chef - March 2, 2013

[…] Beef Butternut Squash, Beef-Barley Soup, Boilermaker Tailgate Chili, Buffalo Chicken Flat Bread, Buffalo Chicken Ravioli, Buffalo Chicken Salad, Buffalo Chicken Salad Wrap, Cajun Pork Roast, […]

2. My Addiction #2 | Rantings of an Amateur Chef - September 3, 2013

[…] My name is The Ranting Chef and I am addicted to buffalo sauce. (My previous addiction can be found here) […]