Advertisements

Sunday Rewind: Pierogi and….who really cares what it is with…PIEROGI!

Sausage, Peppers and Pierogi – Originally posted 3/31/12.

As The Rantings of an Amateur Chef has been going since February of 2012, there are quite a few readers that have joined along the way. In an effort to bring back some great recipes that they may have missed, I will dedicate Sundays to re-posting a favorite that is at least two years old. I hope you enjoy! – The Ranting Chef

As I have mentioned in a number of posts, my spouse has decided to go low carb for Lent. While I have occasionally served a side item (rice), I have really tried to make our main dishes low carb. The other day my wife told me she would not be home for dinner and it was going to be me and my two boys, so I jumped at the chance to carbo load!

I had been drooling for pierogi for weeks, so that is right where I went.

Photo Mar 19, 5 34 51 PM

A meal fit for a carb loving spouse!

Ingredients are pierogi, turkey sausage, onions, peppers, granulated garlic, crushed red pepper, parsley, olive oil and liquid smoke.

Slice up the sausage and fry it up in a little olive oil. If the sausage is already cooked, just try to get a nice sear on it. For uncooked sausage, ensure it is cooked all the way through.

Remove and keep warm.

Cut up the peppers and onions into 1/2″ to 1″ pieces. Saute them up in a little oil until the onions get soft. Remove and keep warm.

Boil the pierogi according to directions (5-7 minutes if frozen, 3 if fresh). Drain the water and saute the pierogi in some oil. Once the pierogi get a little brown, add about 1/2 tsp of granulated garlic and 1/2 tsp of crushed red pepper. Add the sausage, onions and peppers back in. Add several dashes of liquid smoke and toss the contents of the pan. Sprinkle with a little parsley and serve.

A satisfying meal!

Advertisements

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Fried, kosher, Main Dish, Pasta, Pork2, Recipes, Turkey, Vegetable

6 Comments on “Sunday Rewind: Pierogi and….who really cares what it is with…PIEROGI!”

1. December 14, 2014 at 11:09 am #

I love pierogi! Very nice! 😛

2. December 14, 2014 at 12:44 pm #

So glad you posted this. I’m posting on this little delicacy on Tuesday, and I never knew the English form of the word was “Pierogi.” We call them Pirogi (Russian) or Pedeha (Ukrainian).

3. December 14, 2014 at 12:50 pm #

i LOVE pierogi…reminds me of my mom!

4. December 14, 2014 at 2:48 pm #

Pierogi is very common, yet one of my favourite dish here in Poland. But when we eat pierogi we just eat pierogi, without additions like e.g. sausage, just with butter or very tiny greaves. Your proposition seems to be very unusual for Polish admirer of pierogi 🙂 but thanks for showing!

5. December 14, 2014 at 4:18 pm #

I like all the ‘additions’ in this dish. I love pierogies and usually fry them in butter.. but they are a little plain. This recipe will really make people ‘stand up and take notice’ !!

6. December 14, 2014 at 9:01 pm #

This seems so wrong, yet so right. I’m going to a Polish deli this week. I’ll have to stock up on pierogies and make this!