Advertisements

The Foodie Smash

Food is a great way to connect with others. Most people like to talk about food (what their favorites are, what they had last night, etc…) and often times you can find some shared experience around food. While I realized this long ago, once I started writing the blog it has become a much more common occurrence for me to have food discussions with friends, family and co-workers.

Recently, while I was waiting for a meeting to start, I struck up a conversation with a former boss of mine. She is quite the foodie herself and we quickly went to recently made items. One of her recent menu items, Smashed Roasted Potatoes, intrigued me. I not only hadn’t had them before,I don’t think I’d heard of them. She walked me through the (very easy) recipe and after I got home, I found the recipe online.

Photo Nov 25, 5 34 59 PM

These were so easy and sooooo good.

Photo Nov 25, 3 00 31 PM

The standard recipe is pretty straightforward in its limited ingredients. I think in the future I may play around a bit with additional spices, or maybe even throw some shredded cheese over them at the end.

Photo Nov 25, 4 43 00 PM

You have to cook the potatoes first. A key is the smashing. You want to get the potatoes as thin as possible as long as you retain enough integrity that they hold together. The thinner they are, the quicker they will crisp up.

Photo Nov 25, 5 34 52 PM

I like how the colors of the broken skin look on the potatoes.

Photo Nov 25, 5 35 07 PM

Crispy Smashed Roasted Potatoes

Makes: 4 as a side dish

Ingredients:

• 12 to 15 baby red or yellow potatoes (about 1-1/2 oz. each; 1-1/2 to 2 inches in diameter)
  • 2-3/4 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Directions:

Put the potatoes in a large saucepan (preferably in one layer) and cover with at least an inch of water. Add 2 tsp. kosher salt to the water. Bring the water to a boil over high heat, reduce to a simmer, and cook the potatoes until they are completely tender and can be easily pierced with a metal or wood skewer. Make sure they are cooked through but don’t overcook. The total cooking time will be 30 to 35 minutes.

While the potatoes are cooking, set up a double layer of clean dishtowels on your countertop. As the potatoes finish cooking, remove them individually from the water, and let them drain and sit for just a minute or two on the dishtowels.

Fold another dishtowel into quarters, and using it as a cover, gently press down on one potato with the palm of your hand to flatten it to a thickness of about 1/2 inch. Repeat with all the potatoes. Don’t worry if some break apart a bit; you can still use them.

Cover a large rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil; put a sheet of parchment on top of the foil. Transfer the flattened potatoes carefully to the baking sheet and let them cool completely at room temperature.

Remove the pan of potatoes from the refrigerator, if prepared ahead. Heat the oven to 450°F. Alternatively, if you have a convection function, turn it on and set the temperature at 400°F. Sprinkle the potatoes with about 3/4 tsp. salt and pour the olive oil over them. Lift the potatoes gently to make sure some of the oil goes underneath them and that they are well coated on both sides. Roast the potatoes until they’re crispy and deep brown around the edges, about 30 minutes if using a convection oven, 30 to 40 minutes if roasting conventionally, turning over once gently with a spatula or tongs halfway through cooking. Serve hot.

Nutritional Info:

Size : based on four servings; Calories (kcal): 270; Fat (g): 20; Fat Calories (kcal): 180; Saturated Fat (g): 3; Protein (g): 2; Monounsaturated Fat (g): 15; Carbohydrates (g): 20; Polyunsaturated Fat (g): 2; Sodium (mg): 520; Cholesterol (mg): 0; Fiber (g): 2;

Source: http://m.finecooking.com/recipes/crispy-smashed-roasted-potatos.aspx

Advertisements

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Baking 2, Breakfast, kosher, Lunch2, Recipes, Side Dish, snack, vegan, Vegetable2, Vegetarian

16 Comments on “The Foodie Smash”

1. March 7, 2013 at 11:07 am #

They look smashing!

2. HonieMummy (honieBuk)
    March 7, 2013 at 11:09 am #

I’ve never heard of this one either. It shows that there’s more to a spud than meets the eye.
    Another one I liked is the ‘twice baked potato’. You basically cook the potato in it’s jacket (bake or microwave) and then scoop out the middle, add a filling choice, I like bacon and cheese and then bake for 30 mins in a preheated oven. Lovely!

3. March 7, 2013 at 11:32 am #

I love smashed potatoes! I typically roast small red potatoes and cherry tomatoes together until the potatoes are tender and the tomatoes are bursting. Then I add them to a skillet with a little bit of chicken stock and bacon pieces and smush everything together. It is a fantastic dish!

4. March 7, 2013 at 11:58 am #

This I have got to try!

• March 18, 2013 at 2:43 pm #

We did try them and they got a resounding ‘yay’! Mother in law is cooking them again tonight to make sure she has it down pat.

5. P.S. I Love Soap Co.
    March 7, 2013 at 3:34 pm #

Wow! Those look fantastic! I’m sure I’ll be making these for my husband:)

6. March 7, 2013 at 3:47 pm #

Yum! I love crispy potatoes!

7. March 7, 2013 at 6:38 pm #

Looks delicious and an easy, different way to cook potatoes.

8. March 7, 2013 at 7:14 pm #

Looks fab! My kids will love this!

9. March 9, 2013 at 6:30 am #

awesome!

10. March 10, 2013 at 7:19 pm #

I also love some smashed potatoes! This reminds me … I should make some tonight. Love this recipe I made up one night: http://thecrunchyjournal.com/2012/11/15/bbq-chikn-smashed-potatoes/

11. March 11, 2013 at 11:31 pm #

mmm, I see comfort food central!

12. March 19, 2013 at 11:59 pm #

I have cooked these twice since I read this. They are so fabulous. I don’t think I will cook potatoes any other way. I posted about this recipe on my blog and I send all my friends to this recipe.

1. Amateur Chef’s Crispy Smashed Roasted Potatoes – Time Bake « Terre Pruitt's Blog - March 16, 2013

[…] I think something that would be GREAT to put in the oven to have ready when I get home is the Rantings of an Amateur Chef’s Crispy Smashed Roasted Potatoes.  I made these this week for the first time and I don’t think I will make potatoes any other […]

2. July 4th Food! | Rantings of an Amateur Chef - July 3, 2013

[…] Stuffed Portobello Caps, Crispy Smashed Red Potatoes, Easy Baked Beans, Grilled Baby Potatoes and Onions, Grilled Brussels Sprouts, Grilled corn salad […]

3. Labor Day Cookout Food! | Rantings of an Amateur Chef - September 2, 2013