When I was first married, the Internet was still the property of the government and universities, so to find new recipes, you had to go analog – a cookbook.
We had a few (very few) cookbooks to start out with, and like with many young couples, money was tight enough that cookbooks, for the most part, were not in the budget. I collected recipe from friends and relatives and cut an occasional one from a newspaper or magazine, but that was a slow process. I needed to find a better way.
Around that time, I happened upon an offer from Kikoman (think soy sauce), that if I sent in several UPC codes and filled out their form, they would send me the Kikoman cookbook. I sent away for it, and like Ralphie in The Christmas Story, I eagerly checked the mailbox daily to see if my “super secret decoder ring” had arrived.
When it came it was a 20 page, glossy booklet. While not a full cookbook, it instantly increased my recipes dramatically. I cooked through most of the recipes and even found a few favorites. Having had success with this, I knew there were other brands that did the same.
Over the next several years, through send-aways and purchases at the aisle at my local grocery store, I added a dozen more of these booklets. Splenda. RealLemon. National Beef Council. Had them all, and, of course, Pilsbury.
I believe I first found this recipe there.
These are great little pockets of chicken. A great hot lunch.
Very few ingredients.
Making a roux.
Adding the chicken and cheese.
Flattening out the pockets.
You end up making a little “purse” of the contents. It is important to ensure the dough is closed at the top as much as possible for the next steps.
Breaded and ready for baking.
Out of the oven.
Great little pockets. Kids love them.
Chicken To Go Biscuits
Prep Time: 20 Min | Cook Time: 40 Min | Makes: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose or Unbleached Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken*
- 1 1/4 cups (5 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup (4 oz.) chopped or sliced drained mushrooms
- 1 (16.3-oz.) can Pillsbury® Grands!® Refrigerated Buttermilk Biscuits
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 3 cups cornflakes, crushed or 1 cup cornflake crumbs
1. Heat oven to 375°F. In medium saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour, salt and pepper until well blended. Add milk all at once. Cook about 1 minute until thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in chicken, cheese and mushrooms; set aside.
2. Separate biscuit dough into 8 biscuits. Roll or pat each into 5-inch circle. Place about 1/3 cup chicken mixture on each biscuit circle. Wrap dough around chicken mixture, pressing edges to seal.
3. Dip rolls in egg, then coat with crushed cornflakes. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375°F. for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.