I don’t recall ever hearing of tilapia until about 15 years ago. Growing up there was tuna, salmon, cod, haddock, and quite a few others, but I don’t recall ever hearing about tilapia. Once I heard of it, it was suddenly everywhere. Just like Chilean Sea Bass (not Argentinian Sea Bass mind you), it is suddenly upon our awareness. When I was a kid, tuna was the “chicken of the sea”. Now, Wikipedia refers to Tilapia as such.
Tilapia is such an easy fish to cook with. It does not have a strong flavor of its own, so it is good to mix with other flavors. This combination of pecans and butter work really well.
This is another case where the recipe specifies my side dishes (green beans and wild rice). They work, so I followed it, but I still found it a bit strange. How come it didn’t include my wine that I was drinking?
Mixing up the butter and pecans.
A quick fry to the fish.
Tilapia With Pecan Brown Butter
Prep Time: 20m | Cook Time: 20m | Makes: 4
- 1 cup wild and long-grain rice blend
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, plus lemon wedges for serving
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 6-ounce tilapia fillets, halved lengthwise
1. Cook the rice according to the package directions. Steam the green beans until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cook the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat until foamy, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the pecans and cook, stirring, until the butter is golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the parsley, lemon juice, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Keep warm.
3. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Season the tilapia with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. In 2 batches, cook until opaque throughout, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
4. Drizzle the tilapia with the sauce and serve with the rice, green beans, and lemon wedges.
Calories 533 Fat 24g Sat Fat 9g Cholesterol 103mg Sodium 441mg Protein 40g Carbohydrate 44g Sugar 3g Fiber 8g Iron 3mg Calcium 72mg