As Labor Day is almost passed (here in the U.S. it is the first Monday in September), and that marks the unofficial close of summer, my thoughts go to fall cooking. One staple of my cooking as the weather starts to turn colder is chili. I love chili and even host an annual chili cook-off that has been running for 13 years. As I have only won my own chili cook-off once, I am always on the look out for great chili recipes. Here is where you come in.
Do you make great chili? Do you think your chili can stand up and knock down the rest? Now is your time to prove it!
Diced! Chili Cook-Off!
Here is how it works: Contestants will submit a post of chili they make. The post will include the recipe, pictures and additional text (such as a related story or something that ties to the chili). All submissions will be reviewed by The Ranting Chef and finalists will be chosen in 3 different categories. Finalists posts will then go up on the blog and popular vote will determine the winner.
- Traditional Chili – The winner of the chili cook-off that I host every year generally comes from this category. It includes ground meat, beans, traditional vegetables, a tomato base and is mild. I might steal the best recipes in this category to use for my personal chili cook-off.
- Pat’s Style Chili – No beans. Chunks of meat. Heat and flavor at very high levels. I’ve burned out my taste buds long ago, but heat without flavor is purposeless. If there is a single bean in it, it won’t fit the category. Traditional Texas and Colorado chilis fit here.
- Unusual – These chilis both don’t fit the other two and have one or more unusual elements. White chilis, cheesy ones, black bean, etc…
I alone will choose 2-4 finalists for each category. I will choose first, and foremost, on whether I would like to eat and make the chili. Secondary considerations such as the quality of the post (writing, pictures, etc..) will also be considered. Those submissions not chosen as finalists, will still be posted on the blog as guest posts (spread out over the later fall and winter) and seen by the 8000+ subscribers and additional thousands that surf the blog.
Prizes: As always, the main prize will be the pride in winning. However, I have a few prizes secured right now (and will be looking for more). They are:
- A Rollstore and Smart Tea Towel (which converts into an apron) by Kitchen Innovations
- A small Silpat baking mat (perfect for toaster ovens)
- A soft sponge with microfiber cover, a silicone trivet and frying pan shaped magnetsby GreenPan
- A couple of pieces of closure tape by FreshTape
- An apple silicone trivet (that I can’t tell who created it)
- A pop-up sponge by ezbrite
- A cotton designer kitchen towel by MUkitchen
- A tote by by Kings Hawaiian Bread
If you are interested, send me an email at rantingchef.com. I will provide you additional information on the post submission. All posts will be required to be submitted by 11:59 PM ET on Friday, October 3 to make the judging deadline. The finalist posts will likely go up near the end of October.