I once again had to clean out the freezer and based on what I found, I made a “gumbo-like” recipe.
It was a good collection but initially lacked flavor. A healthy dose of Tabasco did wonders for the dish.
Next time add in some hot sauce or at least double the spices in the recipe. I only had two chicken thighs so I added in chicken breasts too.
I thawed the corn before adding it into the pan.
The chicken and spices are added.
It is a beautiful looking dish.
I liked it once the Tabasco was added.
Jimmo’s Chicken & Okra
Prep Time: 30 minutes | Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Pinch of cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
- 1 cup frozen chopped okra
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and corn and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned and softened, about 4 minutes. Add chicken and cook, stirring often, until browned, about 2 minutes. Add garlic, paprika and cayenne and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and okra. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add pepper and salt.
362 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 9 g mono); 76 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 26 g protein; 6 g fiber; 658 mg sodium; 540 mg potassium.