When I try a new recipe, I try very hard to follow the recipe exactly as I see it the first time through. As most of the recipes I try have been published in some way, there is a reason why the recipe has been written as it is. The mix of ingredients…the cooking style…the time of cooking…all were chosen for a reason. I always find it odd that reviews on recipe sites will start “I didn’t like it. I subbed out the cheese for cabbage and cut the cooking time in half.” Um….rewrite the recipe and then rate it poorly.
I do appreciate recipe reviews because I do see variations and that will often give me ideas on the second time around. As long as they rate their own variation and not the original recipe, I’m good.
There are generally two exceptions to my ‘keep the original ingredients the first time through’ idea. One is for peas. Hate ‘em. Always have. Always will. The second is for olives. Black, green or otherwise I just don’t like them. In both cases, I just leave them out. This recipe is just such a case.
This recipe has such a variety of flavors. The Italian sausage carries the dish but the feta, pine nuts and sun-dried tomatoes are great enhancers.
It is really a pretty basic dish.
Cook the pasta.
Saute the garlic.
Add the pine nuts and sun-dried tomatoes.
I have a large platter/bowl that i rarely bring out for serving. It is just one more dish to wash, but some dishes, like this one, deserve the presentation on the table.
I am drooling on my keyboard just remembering the taste. You’ll never miss the olives.
Prep Time: 15 min | Cook Time: 20 min | Makes: 8
- 1 (16 ounce) package uncooked farfalle pasta
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1 (2.25 ounce) can sliced black olives
- 1/2 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Place farfalle pasta in the pot, cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until al dente, and drain.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and cook the garlic until lightly browned. Mix in red pepper and lemon juice. Stir in the pine nuts, olives, and sun-dried tomatoes. Toss in the cooked pasta and feta cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
NutritionAmount Per Serving (8 total) Calories 434 cal 22% Fat 20.1 g 31% Carbs 49 g 16% Protein 15.3 g 31% Cholesterol 28 mg 9% Sodium 639 mg 26% See More Based on a 2,000 calorie diet