“We’re going to need a bigger boat.” – Roy Schieder, Jaws.
A line that has been quoted a number of times, Roy’s character says it when he gets sight of the size of the shark circling the boat he is in. We’ve all felt a similar feeling when we are in the middle of something and realize we may be a bit unprepared for what is coming.
Putting together Paula Deen’s Layered Meatball Casserole, I said the line out loud as I found the dish I had started in was woefully inadequate to meet the needs of such a large, hearty meal.
It was rich and wonderful. As you’d expect from Ms. Deen.
I purchased pre-made meatballs for this excursion.
My first attempt with a round baking dish.
I tried…I really did.
I needed a much bigger boat!
This was a good play on pasta and meatballs.
Paula Deen’s Layered Meatball Casserole
Prep Time: 15 mins | Cook Time: 1 hrs | Makes: 6-8
- 2 1/2 cups prepared spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1 (16 ounce) frozen meatballs, bite-size and thawed
- 1 (3/4 ounce) fresh basil leaf, chopped
- 1 (7 ounce) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons roasted garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 0.5 (12 ounce) egg noodles, cooked
- 1 1/2 cups provolone cheese, shredded
- fresh parsley, garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees; lightly grease a 2 1/2 quart baking dish.
2. Spread 1 cup spaghetti sauce over bottom of baking dish.
3. Place meatballs on top of sauce.
4. Layer basil, mushrooms and tomatoes.
5. In a medium bowl, whisk together ricotta, sour cream, eggs, remaining 1 1/2 cups spaghetti sauce.
6. Stir in garlic, salt, oregano and prepared noodles.
7. Pour mixture over layered ingredients in baking dish.
8. Top with cheese.
9. Bake for 55 minutes to 1 hour, or until bubbly.
10. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
Calories 467.1 Calories from Fat 227 Total Fat 25.2 g Saturated Fat 13.3 g Cholesterol 154.3 mg Sodium 1539.9 mg Total Carbohydrate 39.2 g Dietary Fiber 2.4 g Sugars 12.0 g Protein 21.8 g