I mentioned in a previous post that the good folks at Chobani sent me a selection of their Greek yogurt to cook with. One of the most natural places to use Greek yogurt is in place of cream cheese in a recipe. This recipe uses four ounces of cream cheese. By substituting Chobani Plain Low Fat Greek Yogurt in its place, here is the effect (compared to Giant Eagle brand Cream Cheese I had in my fridge):
- Calories: Cream Cheese – 400. Greek Yogurt - 85. DIFFERENCE: 315 fewer calories
- Fat: Cream Cheese – 36g. Greek Yogurt - 3g. DIFFERENCE: 31 fewer grams of FAT
- Cholesterol: Cream Cheese – 120mg. Greek Yogurt - 8mg. DIFFERENCE: 112mg cholesterol
- Sodium: Cream Cheese – 320mg. Greek Yogurt - 53mg. DIFFERENCE: 267mg sodium
- Carbohydrates: Cream Cheese – 8g. Greek Yogurt - 4.5g. DIFFERENCE: 3.5 grams of carbs
There is one area where Chobani is MUCH higher….
- Protein: Cream Cheese: 4g. Greek Yogurt - 11g. DIFFERENCE: 5 extra grams of protein
I would not have guessed that subbing just 4 ounces would make such a difference. Wow!
I am normally a BIG red salsa fan but the salsa verde works perfectly with the lighter eggs.
I subbed in the Chobani Plain Low Fat Greek Yogurt in place of cream cheese.
I was so glad for my mandolin to help with the potatoes.
Frying the potatoes.
They are nearly done.
I love me some chorizo!
Finally the eggs.
All together with the yogurt.
Time to fill and roll.
Delectable! I’ve made these in the past with the cream cheese and did not notice any difference by using the yogurt. I can’t fathom using cream cheese any more in the future in this.
Breakfast Burritos with Green Salsa
Prep Time: 20 Min | Cook Time: 25 Min | Makes: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 small red potatoes, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 pound bulk chorizo sausage
- 4 burrito-size flour tortillas
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
1 (4 ounce) package cream cheese4oz of Chobani Plain Low Fat Greek Yogurt
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup green salsa
Preheat oven to 200 degrees F (95 degrees C).
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place the potato slices in the skillet and season with salt, pepper, and chili powder. Cook until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from the pan to a baking sheet and put in the warm oven.
Stir chorizo into skillet and cook until browned and crumbly, stirring frequently to break apart. Pour off the grease, then place the chorizo in the oven with the potatoes. Wipe the skillet dry with paper towels.
Wrap the tortillas with aluminum foil and place in the warm oven.
Melt butter in the skillet over medium-low heat. Pour in the eggs and continually stir while cooking. When the eggs are nearly set, mix in the chorizo and potatoes. Add the
cream cheese Chobani Plain Low Fat Greek Yogurt and stir until melted; just before serving, fold in the cilantro.
Place the tortillas onto individual plates and spoon the eggs onto the lower half of each. Fold the sides over the filling, then roll the tortillas into a tight cylinder; top with green salsa to serve.