You say to-may-toe,
I say to-mah-to.
You say po-tay-toe,
I say po-tah-to.
To-may-toe, to-mah-to, po-tay-toe, po-tah-to,
Let’s call the whole thing off!
I was in the store looking for the bread for this recipe and it called for Focaccia. The bakery only had Ciabatta. Focaccia…Ciabatta…Focaccia…Ciabatta…let’s call the whole thing off. Except I didn’t. I chose the Ciabatta.
While it was not something my carnivorous boys liked, my wife and I thought it was really tasty.
The bread was one long loaf, so I made the sandwich before cutting it.
Make the dressing.
The veggies going into the roaster.
The bread and cheese.
Layering it up.
California Grilled Veggie Sandwich
Prep Time: 30 min | Cook Time: 20 min | Makes: 4
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1 cup sliced red bell peppers
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 small yellow squash, sliced
- 2 (4-x6-inch) focaccia bread pieces, split horizontally
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1. In a bowl, mix the mayonnaise, minced garlic, and lemon juice. Set aside in the refrigerator.
2. Preheat the grill for high heat.
3. Brush vegetables with olive oil on each side. Brush grate with oil. Place bell peppers and zucchini closest to the middle of the grill, and set onion and squash pieces around them. Cook for about 3 minutes, turn, and cook for another 3 minutes. The peppers may take a bit longer. Remove from grill, and set aside.
4. Spread some of the mayonnaise mixture on the cut sides of the bread, and sprinkle each one with feta cheese. Place on the grill cheese side up, and cover with lid for 2 to 3 minutes. This will warm the bread, and slightly melt the cheese. Watch carefully so the bottoms don’t burn. Remove from grill, and layer with the vegetables. Enjoy as open faced grilled sandwiches.
NutritionAmount Per Serving (4 total) Calories 393 cal 20% Fat 23.8 g 37% Carbs 36.5 g 12% Protein 9.2 g 18% Cholesterol 22 mg 7% Sodium 623 mg 25% See More Based on a 2,000 calorie diet