In my continuing quest for slow cooker meats that don’t all taste the same, I happened upon this recipe. Vegetarians, look away. This recipe has A LOT of meat!
It was very tasty. I’m not sure if I would classify it as a stew or something else, but it had a stew-like consistency.
I think this is the first time I have cooked with a ham hock.
Like so many wonderful recipes, this starts with frying up bacon.
Frying up the pork shoulder.
And the ribs.
Putting it all together in the slow cooker.
When the cooking was all done, I was still at work. I called and asked my wife to remove the ham hock, as the recipe calls for. When I returned home, I found that it had been fully absorbed into the dish.
The dish had a deep, meaty taste. It was really good.
Makes: 8 servings (serving size: about 1 1/4 cups bean mixture and 1 orange wedge)
- 2 cups dried black beans
- 4 applewood-smoked bacon slices
- 1 (1-pound) boneless pork shoulder (Boston butt), trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3 bone-in beef short ribs, trimmed (about 2 pounds)
- 3 cups finely chopped onion (about 2 medium)
- 1 1/4 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (9-ounce) smoked ham hock
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 8 orange wedges
1. Place beans in a small saucepan; cover with cold water. Bring to a boil; cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain.
2. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan; crumble. Sprinkle pork evenly with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Increase heat to medium-high. Add pork to drippings in skillet; saute 8 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Transfer pork to a 6-quart electric slow cooker. Sprinkle ribs evenly with 1/8 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add ribs to skillet; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Place ribs in slow cooker. Add drained beans, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, onion, and next 3 ingredients (through ham hock) to slow cooker, stirring to combine. Cover and cook on LOW 8 hours or until beans and meat are tender.
3. Remove ribs from slow cooker; let stand 15 minutes. Remove meat from bones; shred meat with 2 forks. Discard bones. Discard ham hock. Return beef to slow cooker. Stir in vinegar and crumbled bacon. Serve with orange wedges.
Calories: 458 Fat: 17.4g Saturated fat: 6.8g Monounsaturated fat: 6.7g Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g Protein: 39.5g Carbohydrate: 35.8g Fiber: 11.6g Cholesterol: 96mg Iron: 6.4mg Sodium: 533mg Calcium: 102mg