The food court at the mall. Such a variety of choice to suit any mood. Will it be Sbarros pizza? Orange Julius? Chik-fil-a? Sakkio teriyaki chicken? While I’ve eaten food from all of those places, I could never do so until I strolled past Panda Express to see what they had that was hot and ready to go.
This recipe claims to be a taste-a-like of Panda Express’s orange chicken. While I cannot vouch for it authenticity, I can say that it was awesome!
I once again used thighs in place of chicken breasts.
I missed getting a picture of the chicken cooking, but here is the garlic.
Finishing the sauce.
Panda express orange chicken
Prep Time: 15 mins | Cook Time: 30 mins | Makes: 6
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- white pepper
- oil (for frying)
- ½ cup cornstarch, plus
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon crushed hot red chili pepper
- ¼ cup green onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- ¼ cup water
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons water
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 orange, zest of
1. Place chicken pieces in large bowl.
2. Stir in egg, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon oil and mix well.
3. Stir cornstarch and flour together.
4. Mix flour mixture and egg mixture.
5. Add chicken pieces, stirring to coat.
6. Heat oil for deep-frying in wok or deep-fryer to 375 degrees.
7. Add chicken, small batches at a time, and fry 3 to 4 minutes or until golden crisp.
8. (Do not overcook chicken).
9. Remove chicken from oil with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels; set aside.
10. Clean wok and heat 15 seconds over high heat.
11. Add 1 tablespoon oil.
12. Add ginger and garlic and stir-fry until fragrant; about 10 seconds.
13. Add and stir-fry crushed chiles and green onions.
14. Add rice wine and stir 3 seconds.
15. Add Orange Sauce and bring to boil.
16. Add cooked chicken, stirring until well mixed.
17. Stir water into remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch until smooth and add to chicken.
18. Heat until sauce is thickened.
19. Stir in sesame oil and orange zest if desired.
20. Serve over jasmine rice.
Calories 304.9 Calories from Fat 46 Total Fat 5.1 g Saturated Fat 1.1 g Cholesterol 128.0 mg Sodium 1023.8 mg Total Carbohydrate 26.6 g Dietary Fiber 0.4 g Sugars 10.7 g Protein 34.4 g