While I will occasionally make dessert, I am really more of a main course kind of guy. For a recent major American holiday, I decided to venture into dessertland and make something festive looking. The trifle dish caught my eye, as well as the bag of frozen whole strawberries in the freezer that had never made it into a smoothie. I knew what I wanted to create – a Red, White and Blueberry Dessert.
It was surprisingly light and well received by all who tried it.
A short list of ingredients. The cake is angel food.
Prepping the cake.
Starting to layer with blueberries.
Then the yogurt.
Strawberries and topping.
Red, White and Blueberry Dessert
1 bag of frozen strawberries
1 tub of whipped dairy topping (Cool Whip or similar)
1 angel food cake
1 pint of blueberries
1 quart of blueberry yogurt
Blue food coloring
- Cut the angel food cake in the shape of your trifle dish. Then cut it so each round is about 1″ thick. You will need two of these. Also if the edge is more brown than white, cut the edge off to make it more white.
- Mix blueberry yogurt (mine was more purple) and the blue food coloring together until the yogurt is blue.
- Start to layer your dessert. First, line the bottom with blueberries.
- Cover the blueberries with 1/2″ of yogurt.
- Next put in a round of angel food cake. If yours has a hole in the center like mine did, stuff the center with your leftover trimmings.
- Make a layer of the frozen strawberries. If they are whole, as mine were, slice them in half or thirds first.
- Cover with 1/2″ of whipped topping.
- On the top, don’t cover edge to edge with topping, but leave some of the strawberries showing around the edge. Place some blue berries on top.