I love the food of San Francisco. In a previous job, I had the opportunity to travel there on business several times a year and couldn’t wait to get out of the meetings in order to go explore the wonderful restaurant scene in the city. Whether is it the Italian restaurants along Columbus Avenue in North Beach, authentic Asian flare in Chinatown, student cooking at the California Culinary Academy or even a whole host of garlic at The Stinking Rose, the food is great.
Nothing is better in San Francisco than the seafood. One of my favorites there is the Cioppino. For those uninitiated, Cioppino is a seafood stew where the ingredients are made up of the catch of the day. Often filled with many types of shellfish, it also typically includes regular fish as well. Served in a tomato based broth, it is a great way to get a variety of fresh seafood all in one dish.
Such a great taste of the sea.
I would add a little hot sauce into the broth the next time I make it.
Prep Time: 10 Min | Cook Time: 45 Min | Servings: 6 to 7 servings |
- 3/8 cup butter
- 1 onions, chopped
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 bay leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cups white wine
- 3/4 pounds large shrimp – peeled and deveined
- 3/4 pounds bay scallops
- 9 small clams
- 9 mussels, cleaned and debearded
- 3/4 cups crabmeat
- 3/4 pounds cod fillets, cubed
1. Over medium-low heat melt butter in a large stockpot, add onions, garlic and parsley. Cook slowly, stirring occasionally until onions are soft.
2. Add tomatoes to the pot (break them into chunks as you add them). Add chicken broth, bay leaves, basil, thyme, oregano, water and wine. Mix well. Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
3. Stir in the shrimp, scallops, clams, mussels and crabmeat. Stir in fish, if desired. Bring to boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer 5 to 7 minutes until clams open. Ladle soup into bowls and serve with warm, crusty bread!
Total Fat: 12.7g Cholesterol: 161mg Sodium: 478mg Total Carbs: 8.9g Dietary Fiber: 1.3g Protein: 34.1g