Foodie Pen Pal – June

This month I joined the foodie pen pals. It is an interesting program where you are assigned a new pal each month and you send them $15 worth of food and in return you also receive a package (from a different pal). It is rather interesting. Check it out at http://www.theleangreenbean.com/foodie-penpals/

My pal Lisa sent me items she purchased at a local farmer’s market. There were two small rounds of bread, great smelling home-made soap and a box of great tasting macaroons. In addition, she sent some information about efforts to feed Vermont and the page displayed shows her and her children. Pretty cool, huh?

I sent items to the pal I was assigned (Laura) from the local area that I am in too.

• Little Italy Marinara Sauce – Cleveland is a town of immigrants and has a large Italian presence. The Little Italy neighborhood of Cleveland is a wonderful place for fine, authentic Italian cuisine.
  • Paisley Farm Dilled Brussels Sprouts – From Willoughby, Ohio (an eastern suburb of Cleveland). Ohio is mostly rural and most of the rural land is filled with farms. While these are not the crisp, fresh Brussels Sprouts that I love to cook with, they have been turned into a grab and go snack.
  • Amish Kitchens Kluski egg noodles – About 90 minutes south of Cleveland is a large community of Amish. From their famous wood furniture to amazing home cooked food, it is quite a time to visit the area. These noodles are used quite often in their comforting meals.
  • Espresso Anise Pizzelles – While the company that makes these is in Pittsburgh, Pizzelles are all over Cleveland. Again with the Italian influence they are a quick dessert or a nice replacement from biscotti with your coffee
  • Organic Sweet Corn Crunch Dried Snack – While this company is also not from Ohio, we have thousands of acres of corn growing in the state. This is a nice way to eat it as a snack.

Tags:

Categories: Pen Pal

10 Comments on “Foodie Pen Pal – June”

1. June 30, 2012 at 6:05 am #

Interesting and clever concept, to exchange cultural and regional food specialties!

2. June 30, 2012 at 9:17 am #

I love this idea! And kudos to your pen pal for sending fresh goods. I would have gone your route with things that are local specialites but easier to store and ship. The whole concept, “mi casa est su casa” is fantastic!

3. Laurie's Apron Strings
    June 30, 2012 at 11:51 am #

What a fantastic idea!! I homeschool my boys and this would be a great project for us!! Thanks!!

4. June 30, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

This is so interesting! Please keep us updated with everything else you recieve. I love this idea, connecting people and food from all over the world. Wonderful

5. June 30, 2012 at 5:21 pm #

All my favourite foodie blogs are doing this. It seems to be growing in popularity. I am kinda jealous (read: down right pissed!) that I cant join the exchange from Australia.

6. July 1, 2012 at 7:47 am #

Great Idea!

7. July 1, 2012 at 6:18 pm #

I loved the idea so much that I signed up myself. Wouldn’t it be wild, Pat, if maybe one day we can be paired up?! :)

8. July 2, 2012 at 7:44 am #

This is such a great idea… I’m definitely going to join when my finances are sorted out!

9. July 4, 2012 at 3:27 am #

Thanks for passing this along! I joined up too.

10. July 4, 2012 at 12:26 pm #

I just signed up. Can’t wait! I already know what I want to include.

~Daniél