Give that Lady a Finger

I have mentioned this in the past, but I am really not much of a baker. While I say that (and believe it), I have found myself doing more baking lately than I’m used to. Some people are really happy when they bring out their electric mixer. Me, I get apprehensive. In baking you have to be exact. I am not really an exact kind of guy. In baking, my teaspoons are leveled. In cooking, I just estimate at what looks like a teaspoon.

This quarter’s Gourmet Club dinner’s theme was Italian. My assignment, dessert. I decided on a two-pronged approach. The first was Cannoli which I have already featured on the blog. The other desert was……nope. Can’t reveal it quite yet (look for it tomorrow). You might get a good guess as it is an Italian dessert that needed ladyfingers.

The first run-through of the dessert I bought firm ladyfingers. While they worked OK, the texture was off and they didn’t soak up any of the other flavors. I knew I needed to make ladyfingers.

OK. They are not uniform and not overly pretty. They were not visible in the desert, so I didn’t really take care in making them uniform.

There are only four simple ingredients.

Separate the yolks and egg whites.

Beat the egg whites and some sugar.

Beat the yolks and fold in the egg whites.

Two trays of piped lady fingers.

Ladyfingers

Servings: 3 – 4 dozen |

Ingredients:

• 4 eggs, separated
  • 2/3 cup white sugar
  • 7/8 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). Line two 17 x 12 inch baking sheets with baking parchment. Fit large pastry bag with a plain 1/2 inch round tube.

2. Place egg whites in bowl and beat on high until soft peaks start to form. Slowly add 2 tablespoons of the sugar and continue beating until stiff and glossy. In another bowl beat egg yolks and remaining sugar. Whip until thick and very pale in color.

3. Sift flour and baking powder together on a sheet of wax paper. Fold half the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture. Fold in flour, and then add the remaining egg whites. Transfer mixture to pastry bag and pipe out onto prepared baking sheet. Bake 8 minutes.

Nutritional Info:

Total Fat: 0.4g Cholesterol: 18mg Sodium: 11mg Total Carbs: 4.6g Dietary Fiber: 0.1g Protein: 0.8g

Source: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/ladyfingers/

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Baking, Dessert, French, kosher, Recipes, Vegetarian

25 Comments on “Give that Lady a Finger”

1. June 29, 2012 at 11:19 am #

I think you might be making my ALL.TIME favorite tomorrow …. anxiously awaiting to see!!!

2. June 29, 2012 at 11:48 am #

How did they turn out? You can’t share gorgeous-looking cookies and then NOT tell us how they tasted!

3. June 29, 2012 at 12:02 pm #

Wow, I never thought to make lady fingers from scratch! This looks so simple and great for tiramisu! Thanks for sharing!

4. June 29, 2012 at 12:04 pm #

I like your committment to getting things just right in your dessert! – would never have thought of making these from scratch, but they sound good.

5. June 29, 2012 at 12:22 pm #

I love your “go for it ” attitude. Will it be tiramisu? Can’t wait to find out!

6. June 29, 2012 at 12:47 pm #

Love this post!

7. June 29, 2012 at 12:57 pm #

I have a lady finger mold, like a muffin tin, so your recipe will be delicious and beautiful.

8. June 29, 2012 at 1:08 pm #

looks easy enough

9. June 29, 2012 at 1:10 pm #

“I knew I needed to make ladyfingers.”–I love that you didn’t settle and knew you could do better. Yay, Ranting Chef:-) Also like your clever title–fun.

10. June 29, 2012 at 2:44 pm #

Who knew you could make ladyfingers?! They’re getting so hard to find in the stores these days, and when they are found, the expiration dates are often suspect. Thank you for posting this!

11. June 29, 2012 at 3:04 pm #

So I guess you’ll be making some proper coffee then?

12. June 29, 2012 at 3:23 pm #

Love the homemade look ;)

13. June 29, 2012 at 3:52 pm #

Homemade ladyfingers?! impressive.

14. June 29, 2012 at 4:12 pm #

Ladyfingers. What else do you do with them besides tiramisu? Can you just eat them?

15. June 29, 2012 at 4:40 pm #

Ooo I have never made lady fingers before, but these look very easy and delicious! Thanks for checking out my blog!

16. June 29, 2012 at 11:06 pm #

ha ha great title…made me smile :D

17. June 30, 2012 at 12:02 am #

never knew it was that simple to make it, will try making my own and i could use them for my ref cake.. looking forward to your next post, i bet you’ll be making tiramisu.

18. June 30, 2012 at 12:57 am #

OMG. you make such lovely bakes! Yummy! =)

19. June 30, 2012 at 5:54 am #

A man who cooks. Why…if lusting and coveting weren’t a sin…I’d be waaaay overweight eating all your food.

20. June 30, 2012 at 2:27 pm #

Love that you made your ladyfingers. I think we all tend to think of the store before making our own. I bet commercial ladyfingers don’t have such a short ingredient list. Nor will they taste as good!

21. July 1, 2012 at 11:26 pm #

I made some cookies for my friends yesterday, and I was saying the exact same thing about my baking apprehension! One wrong ingredient and oops, there goes the recipe.

22. D.J. Zebbie
    July 3, 2012 at 1:15 am #

These look finger-lickin’ good! ;-) Btw, hilarious title, too. I hope it’s not flagged as self-promo but I had this post in mind when I wrote Monday’s on my blog (NSFW, just to be aware).

Giving the lady a finger is as American as apple pie. :-)

23. July 9, 2012 at 7:29 am #

I agree that measuring when baking is no fun :)

1. A Little Help From My Friends | 99 RPM - July 9, 2012

[...] of Cleveland, OH culinary aficionado Pat Geyer. For an extra special mixture of sorts, check out this post and try out the recipe for Lady Fingers while you indulge in the R-rated diatribe of July [...]

2. Lady fingers « Rationing Revisited - August 8, 2012

[...] kidnapped this recipe from the ranting chef‘s post entitled ‘Give that Lady a Finger‘…. I’ve been dying to do these for ages but never seemed to have the eggs for [...]